380 Driving Creek Road Coromandel Town
Driving Creek Railway
New Zealand's only narrow-gauge mountain railway along with a working pottery and wildlife sanctuary. The 1 hour return trip on the inventively designed trains takes you through replanted native kauri forest and includes 2 spirals, 3 short tunnels, 5 reversing points and several large viaducts as it climbs up to the mountain-top terminus. The train ride is one of the most popular in New Zealand.
471, the 309 Road Coromandel
Check out New Zealand's quirkiest theme park. Located in Coromandel Town, The Waterworks is the ultimate Kiwi experience for people of all ages. As well as the array of water powered inventions to look at, play on, or interact with, The Waterworks has a generous children's playground area perfect for picnics, an onsite café, free use of BBQs and a swimming hole to cool off in during the hot summer months.
Coromandel is famous for its fishing hot-spots. Experience some of the best snapper fishing in New Zealand. Coromandel Town caters for charter boat and kayak fishing. Many people also surf cast off the rocks and jetties or just take a leisurely kayak in the harbour and inshore islands. There are many ramps for private boats to launch from or we can arrange a charter boat fishing experience for you.
Kapanga Road coromandel
Other Coromandel Town activities include:
- Gold Stamper Battery - Visit website
- Coromandel Coastal Walkway - Visit website
- Coromandel Museum
- Hauraki House Gallery
- Coromandel Craft Trail
- Kayak Fishing and Hire
- 309 Road Kauri Walk and Waterfalls
- Kauri Tree, Kauri Block and Harray Track Walks
- Golf, tennis, bowls
Coromandel Town also has a great selection of annual events:
- Coromandel Annual Keltic Fair – 2 January - Visit website
- Classy Chicks Fishing Competition - March
- Kings of the Coromandel Fishing Competition – April
- Coromandel Arts Tour – April
- Illume Lighting Festival – July
- The Bounty Hunter Fishing Competition – July
- Colville Connection Mountain Bike Race – October
- K2 Road Cycle Race – October
- The Great Cranleigh Kauri Run – November
Coromandel Town is spoilt for choice with its great selection of restaurants, hotels, cafés and takeaways providing local grown green lipped mussels, oysters and fresh fish among the many options.
Restaurants include The Pepper Tree, Success Café, Umu Café, Mussell Kitchen, Laan Ya Mo Thai Restaurant, Coromandel Hotel, Star & Garter Hotel and the Admirals Arms Hotel.
Coromandel Colonial Cottages Motel is a great place to base yourself with a view to visiting Hot Water Beach, Cathedral Cove, New Chums Beach, Rapuara Water Gardens, the Thames Coast Butterfly Gardens and the unspoilt scenery and breathtaking beaches on the Peninsula.